Tuesday, July 29, 2008

didja feel that?

I couldn't believe that I felt the quake more than 100 miles away! I was somewhat worried about my family back home, since the quake was centered about 5 miles away from them, and the phone lines were all clogged up. But all is well, and my Dad even thought to ask me whether or not I paid the Chevron bill for the month....which of course leads me to my NEXT topic.

I may have a tendency to rack up debt, but I am extremely diligent with making payments on time. At times, I may be swimming in debt, but I always make efforts to pay off the most I can for each biling cycle. My father is the complete opposite. He is notorious for making the mere minimum payments, usually right before the statement is due (sometimes even on the day it's due).

Long story short, my father has added me as an authorized user on his Chevron account. We stopped using the card months ago, but with minimum payments on a card that accrues 22 % interest, it's difficult to get yourself out of the hole. Turns out that we are over our limit by $40! I don't take care of payments on this card, as I haven't used the gas card in over a year, but I found this information out when I was calling around to get my APRs lowered. Apparently it's been over limit for at least two months, but thankfully they have not reported it to the credit agencies. Of course, this freaked me out, b/c I don't want this affecting MY credit history. So I made a withdrawal from my EFund to cover a large chunk of the balance.

Should I take myself off as an authorized user? Would it matter whether or not the balance was paid off in full when I do so?

No comments: